Tuesday, June 8, 2021

What movie traumatized you as a child.

 This was one of those questions on Facebook.  My daughter wrote, Children shouldn't play with dead things. LOL   Great title for a movie. 

Anyway, I started thinking about what movie traumatized me as a kid. And I thought and I though. I am still thinking. 

Not to say that a movie did not scare me as a kid,  some did, but not one that traumatized me. My sister would not take a shower again after watching the movie Psycho.  To me, that is traumatized. Or not sleeping without a night light...or the closet door opened or a clown hiding under your bed.

I have always loved scary movies/books.  I like to be scared.  But it does not do anything else to me. At some point the "scary" movies turned bloody/gory. they don't scare me at all, they annoy me more than anything. There is one exception though.  

The SAW movies.   That is a good collection of scary movies that also happen to be bloody.  I guess I like it because there is a story line and it is well acted. It also preys on fears many people have, like having a sharp object stuck in your eyes if you don't do something.....

I can remember one thing that did traumatize me that I saw on TV when I was a kid.  My father watched war documentary/series. Having only one TV we kids had to watch grown up TV.

 One was called, a World at War.  And it showed how the German concentration camps were liberated by the British and American troops. 

I saw the survivors, they were walking skeletons in rags.  Half burnt bodies in crematoriums,  naked bodies in piles. Piles of clothes, shoes taken from them. How they dug out huge holes and bull dozed bodies into them.  They had families, a home, a life and they suffered and now they are being  thrown in a hole.  How could people do that to other people. 

Lets not forget the Atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagsaki.  What horrors the survivors endured. The dead leaving a mark. People and things became shadows on walls and steps and the ground.  Like this.



As scary as some movies are and some can give me a good scare! which I love...but it is all make believe.


A girl I went to elementary school also posted on Facebook. She put the movie, Them. LOL  It was a story about Giant Ants.  

I remember that movie and I guess Giant Ants can traumatize someone. I don't see  how but I guess they can. Just like the Crawling eye and the Crawling hand. The Thing and so many more.




It is real life, what people can do to people/countries/ animals, that are traumatizing....to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment