Sunday, June 27, 2021

Meeting Dave-2

 So, eventually I decided to give it one more try. I think I wrote to 5 people this time, I won't try again.

One of the people was a man from Birmingham U.K.,  who said he loved all things American.  I wrote him and said I love all things British.   He wrote back. 

He told me later, I was the last person he was going to write  because he had over 80 responses!  He felt terrible because people (all women I think) wanted to write to him but he could not keep up with all the emails. He started apologizing and sending out emails that he was so sorry but he could not write to them.

We had a good time writing back and forth, Dave was very witty and told wonderful stories.  Eventually he told me about all the other women he was writing and shared some of their stories with me. 

At some point he told me about a woman in Texas he was going to visit in a few months.  She was wealthy, had a good job, a married son.  He talked with the son online and everything was set.  

At some point Dave told her who he talks to online  and  she wanted him to stop.  He told her, I was a friend and he would not.  She stopped talking to him and blocked him.  I think he was a little shocked by how suddenly she dropped him.  But he told me, I think if I did go, she would not have let me leave. I laughed, but he was serious. He said money is a very attractive influence and that played a big part in meeting her. 

It was the following year we decided to meet. I told him my friends thought I was  crazy he could be a murderer! He said, well, his friends were worried too. I said, what are they saying?  He said, Ada said, remember Dave, she is an American. She will want to hug you when you meet. 

I think I laughed for a full 20 minutes. LOL

That's how we met. He came to New York. I went to England. He came to Gulfport.... Our next vacation was to Graceland and the Heartbreak Hotel in Tn. Then to Civil War battlefields in Jackson. Then back to our favorite Hotel on the Florida Panhandle and a week with family. 

But a month before the Vacation he died and all our plans died with him. 

His friends sent me a copy of his service and lovely notes. Even his boss, who was Knighted by the Queen, sent me a letter if there is anything he can do. 

So that's the story of my Dave.....







No comments:

Post a Comment