Sunday, June 27, 2021

My Best Friend

When my daughter started school, I stood with all the other women who's children were in the same class. These women were all neighbors, living within a few blocks radius. 
Amy was in the group, I thought she must be stuck up because she is beautiful!  She had short black hair and everything was perfect, make-up, nails, clothes. But she seemed like a normal person. 
I guess we started to gravitate towards each other for some reason. She invited me over for coffee after dropping off the kids. I drank tea.

We were complete opposites.  She took hours to get ready with the hair, make-up, clothes, mainly hair. I did not. She liked Kenny G and romantic music. I liked Rock. She liked romance Novels, I liked Stephen King. She loved to drive. I did not.
In spite of our differences we some how became good friends. She had a good heart and a good sense of humor. She knew she was beautiful, but she did not let it go to her head, it was just a fact of life.


Here she is. She kept her hair long, soon after her short black phase was over,  most of her life. 

I could not believe the reaction she got the first time we walked up town. Guys were beeping horns, whistling, waving, calling out, she just  ignored everything and kept on talking like nothing was happening.

The second time I went with her and the reactions were the same, I said to her, do you see what these guys are doing??  She said, yeah, they're jerks...and that was that. She rarely acknowledged them unless they made her laugh.

I was in the car with her when we were the second inline to get gas.  We pull up and she says $10 please.  When she goes to give the guy the money he said, the man in the car that was in front of you paid for your gas. WOW.

Another time I went with her to the Sears store in Flushing because she needed vacuum cleaner bags.  The store was packed because they were having some kind of a sale. Oh great we will probably be here about an hour.   Nope.
Two sales guys spotted her as soon as we walk in the door.  Do you need help they both say. No she says I just need vacuum cleaner bags. Both of them guide her to the bags, they take what she needs, they guide her to a CLOSED register (all the open registers have LONG lines) ring up her order, bag them and wish her a good day. Took maybe 3 minutes. I looked back as we were leaving, I saw people running to that register but the sales guy shook his head no and closed it back up.
That is one of my favorite memories of her, we had such a laugh about that.

There were many highs and many lows in life.  

We could tell each other anything. We loved to go out dancing.  Amy would  get many free drinks and sometimes if we were lucky, we would too. LOL
We also had a few free breakfasts at diners afterwards, thanks to Amy. 

Later, for the most part,  we kept in touch by phone when I moved out of New York.

We had some laughs and I told her,  I think of her a lot and I always picture us on the dance floor at a club.
We always ended the conversations with, love you...

On April 13th  the Covid Virus made her a spirit in the sky. 

I was so lucky to have this wild woman in my life.


She was incredible. 






No comments:

Post a Comment