Sunday, June 27, 2021

Celebrities my family met.

Many years ago my father in law caddied for W.C.Fields, who was a  famous  comedic actor.

He played  mostly a child hating, scoundrel who was a drunk. He was in a number of movies with Mae West, a famous actress in her day.  Pop said he was a nice man who bought him a bologna sandwich.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My father was in the Army with Hans Conried. He was a character actor. His most famous role was playing Uncle Tanoos on the Danny Thomas show. 

I have a picture, rolled up of my fathers Army unit and he is in the picture. My father said he did nothing but lay around reading scripts. He was transferred to the entertainment division. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My mother grew up in Manhattan/Harlem/Bronx.  They new Bobby Darin and his family.


Bobby Darin was a famous singer, songwriter and Actor in the 1950s and '60s.  He also had his own TV show.  The family lived around the corner. His sister was really his mother. He grew up believing his Grandmother was his mother.  It seems everyone in the neighborhood knew this.

They had to tell him the truth, because he wanted to run for some political office and the truth would come out if he did.
He  died in 1973 of congestive heart failure at the young age of 37.  He packed so much into his short life it was almost as if he knew he would die young.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My father was the night manager of a parking garage (Ho-Penn) in Manhattan near Madison Square Garden. 
One day, Joe Louis, a famous boxer, parked his car  in his garage.  My father told a friend of his, you know this  may sounds crazy, but I think I could take him. LOL
Dream on dad......dream on. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years ago, I was about 13/14, my sister Peggy and her husband took us and my mother to Palisaides Park, in  New Jersey. I was pretty upset because half the park was roped off because they were shooting a TV show.  It was a teen show, I think it was Hullabaloo.
One of the groups there were Gary Lewis and the Playboys.  I think the Supremes were there too. 

We were walking around one place, when coming in the opposite direction and separated by wood horses were Jay and the Americans.  Now, I am not a screamer and I am not the type that would run up to someone to beg for an autograph. So I just starry eyed watched them as they walked passed. 
They were busy smoking and talking and did not notice me or the family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My husband worked across the street for the Chemold Corp. They made tennis rackets, balls, etc.
Charlton Heston was a friend of the owner of the company and came by to get some rackets.  My husband called and told me Charlton Heston would be leaving the building. I got my camera and ran outside to take a picture of him leaving. I did get a picture. But it is blurry and you wouldn't know it was him, even if I told you it was him. sigh

I stood next to, Ozzie Davis  on a street in Manhattan outside a restaurant. I think he was waiting for his driver.  He was a famous actor and so was his wife.

No, I said nothing to him, I looked at him with the corner of my eye so he would not catch me. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My penpal came over from England in 1995. We were in Manhattan near the Dakota Apt. building, when walking in the opposite direction was, Carly Simon. She is a famous singer. I liked her song, your so vain. 
Even with sunglasses on she is unmistakable with that Mick Jagger mouth.  She looked over at us and then looked away. Cheryl said...was that Carly Simon? I said yes, I think it was. Cheryl ran down the corner to see where she went. Cheryl said she went into the Dakota. (That is the building John Lennon was shot in front of when he was returning home..

So that's some memories I nearly forgot about.  





















No comments:

Post a Comment