Sunday, June 27, 2021

Traditions

 Many people have some sort of tradition/superstition they follow that has been passed down from their parents..ect. 

When I was young my family did not have any that I can remember. Since we had turkey on Thanksgiving, we had Ham for Christmas. We would have a leg of lamb for Easter. I think that was just not to have the same thing for every holiday.

I used to take down my Christmas tree before Jan. 1st because I did not want to start the New Year with the tree still up. But that was just personal preference, not a tradition.

New Years day was not a special day, really.  Many people would have Chinese food, because who felt like cooking when you were up late and possibly drinking the day before. Was that a tradition..? I would say no, it was just a lazy day and a cheap meal.

My father in law would wake us early on New Years day, he would bring us italian bread and step over our threshold with his right foot, first. That was a tradition from his family, it would bring good luck and assure  you, you would always have food on the table.  He would go to all his childrens home, who still lived in town, and do this. 

There is one thing I have been doing for a few years is watch The Twilight Zone Marathon on TV on New Years day.  I love that show and never get tired of seeing them, even when I can repeat the dialog along with some of the shows. lol

Is it a Tradition? Only for me. 

I wonder how many people are making a dinner  or  watching a show or visiting a place because their parents did it, not because they really want to do it. 

So, if it makes you happy, brings you joy...then do it. If not.....then don't do it. Simple as that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment