Sunday, June 27, 2021

My first apartment

51 years ago I got married.  It was a very warm sunny day.  I wore a yellow dress, white headband, white sandals. 
I got married in St.Fidelis between weddings so the church was decorated.  
We were going to get married in...January or February (I can't remember which one but it might have been February since I turned 18 that month) but for some reason (that I can't remember why, now) we did not. So in May I was about 7 months pregnant. 
This was not uncommon in my day. They were called shotgun weddings.  We found out many years later that my sister Barbara was pregnant when she married and had a miscarriage on her honeymoon.

I did not want anyone at the wedding. I just wanted to get it over with. But my sister Peggy showed up with her kids anyway.  It was a quick ceremony with John Murphy and Maria Franceschetti as our witnesses. 

We  then stopped at my parents house and then to pops. We were going to stay at pops in Billy's room because the apartment was not ready. 
An old man lived there before us and we had to clean out the apartment  before we could paint. 
The rent was $60 a month which my father thought was an outrages amount of money.
This is the apartment house  125 street and 18th avenue.



It was a two family that was converted into a 4 family apartment house. Ours was upstairs in the back. An old couple lived in the front.  
Downstairs an old Italian man lived in the front studio apartment and in the back was Honey, Timmy and their two daughters. 
The old man was the only one with a phone in the building. He would let you use his phone for a nickel, back then it was 5 cents a minute for a phone call. 

Our apartment was 3 small rooms. You walked into the livingroom, to the right was the bathroom, then the bedroom and to the right the kitchen.

We got hand me downs for the furniture. Johnny's in laws gave us a black sofa, his friend gave us his bedroom set he had from his first marriage.  The dresser came down with us through the years and it's last stop was Mississippi.

It was a crappy little apartment,  very hot in the summer and the furnace would break down a lot in the winter. We  put the oven on  with a pot of water in the oven for heat when that happened.

I think we stayed there a little over a year before moving to Charlie Gratz's house on 127th street. 


No comments:

Post a Comment