Friday, January 17, 2020

Getting to my first job

I had to get up early to get to my job in Long Island City.  I had to take the Queens Transit Q65 bus to Flushing. The bus stop was 3 block from home.  I had to leave about 7:30am to get to work before 9am. 

This is what the bus looked like back in 1967. 

I usually did not have to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus. In school, I had a bus pass but now I paid with change and if I only had a dollar bill, the bus driver would make change for me.
Since I left and came home at rush hour, I was lucky if I got a seat.  Even back then, there were not many gentlemen who got up to give a woman a seat.  The trip to my stop in Flushing took about 10 minutes.

After the bus it was a quick trip around the corner to go downstairs for the train. If I had no tokens I had to stand in line at the token booth to get some.
How many times I stood on this line and heard my train come in and leave! That was frustrating.
 After getting the tokens (I still have a train token somewhere) I had to go through the turnstile and head downstairs.
My train the No.7

It was always crowded at rush hour, sometime you could not squeeze in to a car and had to wait for the next train. It was about a 20-30 minute ride unless I took the express train that skipped some stops. Most of the time I had to stand and hold onto a pole or over head straps.  
This was my train stop Lowery Street.

I had nice views of the city from the train and train stop. From here I would go downstairs and walk 3 blocks to my job.  Sometimes, if I had time I'd stop at a store to pick up cigarettes or anything else I needed on the way to work.  
Next I'll talk about my job. 
One day I will give more details about traveling on the buses and trains of NY.



Here is the 7 line, obviously much newer than what I traveled in back in the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment