Wednesday, May 24, 2023

May 24th

 



Today would have been my anniversary. I would have been married 54 years. Hard to believe.

I was a few months into being 18 and 7 months pregnant. We were supposed to get married after Christmas. We had the marriage license, most of my gifts that Christmas were things I would need in my apartment. I don't know why. maybe laziness,  but we did not get married then and the license expired.

We were just getting married, no fanfare. I didn't even want anyone at the church, just get it over with. We got a new license. 

It was a sunny hot day. I wore a yellow dress, yellow headband, white sandals. Maria , it was her birthday, was my maid of Honor (witness) and Karl was the best man (witness). Peggy didn't listen and came to the church with her kids. We got married inbetween nice weddings so the church was nicely decorated. 

I did not want pictures taken, so there are no pictures of this wonderful event.

That was that. We went home to see my parents then we  went to my father in laws, we were staying there till the apartment was finished. We had to get the stuff out the previous renter had,  and paint. 

My in laws decided we should go to a hotel for the night so they drove us (and paid for) a night at the LaGuardia Hotel or Motel, I don't remember now and it was torn down soon after. We left the next morning. 

So, that was my wedding day.

Did I ever regret not having a big wedding?

No. 

My 2 older sisters and 2 cousins had weddings. All that stress. 

My father said he would give $1,000 to a daughter that did not want a wedding. That was a nice little sum of money back in the 1960s. I was the only one that took him up on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment