Wednesday, April 8, 2020

TV Part Two

When I was 8,  This is the age of my family and what they liked to watch. Of course they liked a wide variety of shows, this is just movies.  We all seem to agree on what TV shows to watch.



Not my family but you get the idea how we all watched TV together. If we were all home, there was not enough room and some of us had to sit on the floor. 

Watching the Ed Sullivan show was fun and most of us watched it on Sunday Night because he had a wide variety of acts that appealed to all of us. 


MOVIES
Mother- Westerns, War Movies, Drama's

Father- War Movies, Westerns, Drama's

Peggy 17,  Romance, Drama's 

Barbara 15, Romance, musicals

Me 8, Science Fiction, Thriller, Mystery, sometimes Drama

Charlie 7, War movies, westerns

Thomas, to young to count.

Everyone liked a good mystery movie including me, so that was not much of a problem either UNLESS it was opposite  a War or Western Movie. 
I liked all the Science Fiction, Thriller movies besides Mystery movies.  

If I wanted to watch something that was opposite a War movie and my father was home, I was not going to watch my movie. No matter how much I begged.   Now if I wanted to watch something opposite a Western movie, I had a 50-50 chance of my mother letting me watch my movie.

My father worked nights and slept during the day. So it was only a problem with him on his days off. 

We liked comedies, Abbott and Costello, Martin and Lewis, I liked some drama's but I was not a fan till I was much older and watched some of the old movies,  watch any Gregory Peck movie, nothing gets better than him. 

The Best times were movies that only showed once a year. (The VCR ruined this).  When the Wizard of Oz, or The Miracle on 42nd street  or A Christmas Carol or Charlie Browns Christmas was going to be on TV, you prepared for it.  
You were excited for weeks leading up to the movie.
  You made sure you would be home to watch it, popcorn was made (jiffy popcorn made on the stove) and everyone watched it together. 
Those are very warm memories. sigh

We don't have one picture of us all in the livingroom, watching TV. It's a good thing I have it all in my mind...











No comments:

Post a Comment